Teletypewriter (TTY) Service
We provide a free TTY service through the Bell Relay Service.
Using the Bell Relay Service
- For TTY Users: If you have a hearing impairment or speech disability, use your TTY to type your conversations to a Bell Relay operator. The operator will read the typed message to the other person and then type the other person’s reply back to you.
- For Voice Users: You can begin a call to a TTY user by calling the Bell Relay Service at 1-800-855-0511. A Bell Relay operator will type your spoken words to the TTY user and read back their replies.
Instructions for TTY Users
When you’re calling us, please follow these steps using your TTY:
- Dial 711. The Bell Relay operator will answer with: “Bell Canada Relay Service, (operator’s name) speaking,” followed by “GA” (for “go ahead”).
- Type in 416-971-9800 and then “GA.” Type in the name or extension of the person you’re trying to reach, if you have it. The operator will let you know as soon as someone answers the call. For example, “John is on the line, GA” (if you provided a name).
General Tips for TTY Users
- When calling us, be sure to give the operator the name or extension of the person you are trying to reach. This way, the call will progress more quickly and the operator won’t have to keep repeating the procedures for using the Bell Relay Service.
- If you type the wrong word or message, either backspace or type XXX after the mistake.
- When you finish your turn, remember to type “GA” to signal the other person to respond.
- If the person you are trying to reach is already familiar with the Bell Relay Service, let the operator know at the beginning of the call. · You can leave messages on answering machines or voicemail systems. When you do, mention that you are calling using the Bell Relay Service. Provide the Bell Relay Service phone number (1-800-855-0511) along with your area code and phone number. · Always wait for the Bell Relay operator’s “GA” before typing.
- When the conversation is finished, type “GA” or “SK” (stop keying). End your call by placing the handset back on the phone and turn off the TTY power switch.